How Fire Works
Fire is the result of a chemical reaction between oxygen in the air and a type of fuel (wood, gasoline, paper, for example).
For the fire to start – for the combustion reaction to happen – the fuel must be heated to its ignition temperature. So the three components for fire to burn are fuel, heat and oxygen. Fire will burn until one or more of the components are removed.
To put out a fire one or more of 4 things must occur: cool the burning material, exclude oxygen, remove the fuel, break the chemical reaction.
Fire needs an atmosphere with at least 16 percent oxygen to burn. Humans can comfortably survive on air with less concentration of oxygen for short periods of time. So one of the effective and safe ways to take out fires is controlled decreasing of oxygen concentration just below the 14 % threshold.
That is exactly what N2 GLOBAL technology does to put out fires – it takes away oxygen form the burning process without harm to people.
The simple step at the core of N2 GLOBAL technology:
At the core of N2 GLOBAL Clean Agent Fire Suppression technology is the simple step that puts out fire: oxygen is decreased below burning levels without any harm to people, effectively stopping the burn process.
How the technology works:
- Solid N2 propellant is stored in compact generators
- Fire or explosive fire is detected
- N2 GLOBAL Clean Agent Fire Suppression system is triggered, releasing clean N2 gas
- Fire is extinguished in less than 15 seconds
- Oxygen levels remain safe for occupied spaces, with no residue and no cleanup necessary
- Discharge at inner pressure of 3 bar
- Cold discharge gas 75 oC at room temperature
- Works in harsh conditions: -20 oC to +75 oC
- No additional source for discharge required
- Classified for Class A and B fires
- Very simple chain of command signal: detection-signal-actuation
- 1 unit per 2,5 m3 space
- Safe performance
- Clean N2 discharge
- Environmentally sustainable
- Modular application
- Easy replacement and retrofit
- Simple, cost-effective maintenance
Completely safe for humans
Safe for valuables
No dust, no smoke
Releases only clean N2